Monday, March 16, 2009

Tradition

There are very few traditions I follow with any sort of regularity... Birthdays are big, as are Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas(when finances allow.) One of these that I have followed most of my life is the feast of St. Patrick. The traditional dinner of Corned Beef, cabbage, and red potatoes. I don't remember the first time I had this meal, and I don't remember how many of these I have cooked. I do know that there have been some years when I could not prepare this meal due to whatever difficulties I was facing at the time. I also know that this is definitely a tradition I would like to pass on to my kids, so that they will have something that they can call a family tradition. As I can't remember much of my life, I feel that this is something that we did often, during my childhood, but I cannot say for certain. I have the feeling that we did, and this is probably a well reasoned assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. I just feel as though this is something that I can do to give my kids fond memories of their family heritage, rather than blank spots in their memories...

Sorry, I was rambling. Too much coffee, and the yellow onions carried me away... I can't wait to sink my teeth into that juicy meat tomorrow. As always, I love you Dad! Hope your feast goes well.

2 comments:

  1. Tradition's are good. Whether or not some of us had them during our childhood or not. Creating them and the memories make them even more enjoyable. I'm happy that you get to create this with your children and that they will also have something to pass onto theirs. PS when you made it at our old place it was awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to recall us having the traditional "Boiled dinner" every St. Pat's day - come heck or high water - at least the corned beef :) But good for you hon, good for you. Give your children a sense of tradition, never a bad thing :) I changed ours a bit this year - along with the corned beef I made a pastrami (bought the stuff and made it myself) - it lasted about three minutes ;) I don't mind yellow onion stories :) been known to tell a few myself ;)
    Love you hon,
    Always,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete